[Advaita-l] vedic yajna

Rajaram Venkataramani rajaramvenk at gmail.com
Thu Nov 24 01:43:14 CST 2011

As animals have a well developed nervous system, they suffer a lot of pain
and fear when killed. So, we should abstain from meat. It does not matter
if there is sin or not associated with it. Even if it is in our nature
to desire meat, we should abstain from it for the welfare of the animals.

Some scientific studies show that small quantities of alcohol have health
benefits. But many of the processes of making alcohol involve use of animal
products. So, if one takes alcohol it should be from a vegan or vegetarian
process. But alcohol has the ability to get one addicted and obsessive
reliance on external stimulants should be avoided. Also, our traditional
systems are based deep insights and we should conduct a detailed study on
the neurological impact of alcohol - even in small quantities. It may
reveal that the impact on our ability to discriminate or cause plasticity
of the brain.

There has to be regulation of carnal pleasures through an early marriage.
It definitely ensures social stability. But a grahastha should be
physically fit and well versed in kama shastra so that he can enjoy in
accordance with dharma. Without learning control of breadth and the mind,
the right kind of food and life style etc., the quality of sex is
degrading.

The above are examples of regulation for health and social welfare. For one
who is engaged in higher pursuits (e.g. cow protection), there is a loss of
interest in lower pleasures because happiness is derived from sattvic
activitites rather than rajasic or tamasic activities. By
extrapolation, when one who understands that this world is transient and
bliss is not dependent on external objects, total absitence should
be natural. It is the right understanding that we should foster as the
ideal. Ultimately, knowledge is characterized by renounciation.