[Advaita-l] Logical Basis of Apaureshyatva

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Thu Nov 10 04:01:24 CST 2011

Namaste.

Today the 10-day kAryashAla (workshop) on the VivekachUDAmaNi concluded.
The hosting organization, Poornaprajna Samshodhana Mandiram, Bangalore, did
a splendid job.  About 15 participants were there of whom about 7 were from
the VidyApeetha itself.  The rest comprised of some lay people like me and
some others from various parts of the country who had memorized the entire
work aiming to participate in a final competition called 'shalAkA
parIkShA'.

Conceived by Dr. Kutumba Shastry, the then Vice Chancellor of the Rashtriya
Samskrit SamsthAn, New Delhi, this 'test' involves the following modus
operandi:

A text is selected for the test and announced well in advance.  The
participants are expected to memorize the entire text.  On the day of the
test a 'needle', 'shlAka', is inserted into the book at random  just as one
would find a book/page mark in a book.  The book is then opened and
whichever line the needle points to is the starting point for that
participant to start reciting from memory.  Sometimes one will also be
asked to explain the context too - all in Sanskrit.  The idea behind the
text is to make the study extremely demanding and make the students put
forth solid effort and finally retain the contents in their memory.  This
is done in all shAstras.

Last year the text selected was the ShAnkara Brahmasutra bhashyam and the
top ranker was a Madhwa student from the Bangalore Vidyapeetha.  This year
at the state level a Madhva student, again, has topped by memorizing the
entire 580 verses of the VC and is quite thorough with the commentary of
Jagadguru Sri Chandrashekhara Bharati SwaminaH.

Three Advaita Vidwans were given the task of teaching the entire text
during the workshop and they did their job extremely well.  The
participants evinced great interest by asking quite a lot of questions.
The entire proceedings were in Sanskrit.

Several Madhva boys expressed their opinion that -  Before coming to these
classes our idea of Advaita was something completely different.  What we
see here is really revealing to us.  We are enthused to study more works on
Advaita.  Which other work should we study to gain a good knowledge of
Advaita?

The Director, Dr. A.V.Nagasampige too had expressly stated that getting
Advaita Vidwans to teach Advaitic works would be the best way of gaining
authentic knowledge of the Advaita shastra.  Hence this workshop in this
form.  There are plans to take up other texts like the Vedanta Paribhasha
and Panchadashi in the forthcoming workshops.

Every day there used to be a special lecture on one Darshana by an eminent
scholar. On the first day the scholar, Dr. Subbarayudu, could not make it
to the workshop/venue and Dr.Nagasampige himself rendered, in his place,
the lecture on Advaita and on Vishishtadvaita the next day. Both talks were
very well rendered.

I stated all the above as part of concurring with what Shri Omkar has
said.  I found that some of the important misconceptions about Advaita
among non-Advaitins are:

1. Advaita is atheistic - they deny Ishwara.

2. Advaita, holding the world to be mithya, has no way to accommodate
guru-shishya relationship, moksha sadhana, etc. Their adherence to nitya
karma etc. is only half-hearted as they know that there is no punya-papa,
svarga-naraka, etc. all being mithya.

3. There is the problem of 'by one person becoming a mukta all others also
become muktas' in Advaita.

4. Advaitins admit of Jivanmukti which is an impossibility by any means.

I found that even very well read scholars of Dvaita vedanta holding such
views about Advaita.  In the backdrop of this it was really surprising to
see young Madhwa participants of the workshop on VC expressing what I have
stated in the foregoing and willing to study more Advaitic works to gain a
first-hand knowledge thereof.

Coming to what Omkar has said, I would also point out the case of a close
friend of mine, a very orthodox follower of the smartha sampradaya and
Vedanta, holding the work 'The Practice of the Presence of God' by Brother
Lawrence very dear to his heart.  He has kept a copy of the book, for
several years, for his daily reading, wherever he goes.  His appreciation
of the sentiments found in the book is very high and considers it an ideal
for anyone who wants to practice bhakti and karma yoga.  The commitment to
erase the ego to allow God to 'enter' one's life and take possession of
one's very being found in that book is greatly appealing to my friend. It
is not that my friend goes in search of Christian literature constantly but
this one he chanced to lay his hands upon and a fine connection with it got
established.

In fact Dr.Nagasampige had a very intimate talk with me where he expressed
the thinking that despite the differences between the various schools of
Vedanta we must be able to engage with each other wherever there is
'samvAda' and learn to live in harmony instead of highlighting the
conflicts.  If we are able to send this message across to our younger
generation it would be a great achievement in our lives as understanding
scholars.

Regards,
subrahmanian.v