[Advaita-l] Logical Basis of Apaureshyatva

Rajaram Venkataramani rajaramvenk at gmail.com
Mon Nov 7 04:59:45 CST 2011

On Mon, Nov 7, 2011 at 2:26 AM, kuntimaddi sadananda <
kuntimaddisada at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Shree Rajaratnam - PraNAms

**
> I thought I gave logic for saying the statements are not logical.
>
> Here again.

You need to prove your logic by establishing a vyaapti with dRiShTanta. The
> ball is your court. Miimaamsa does not provide you vyaapti that you need to
> establish the apourusheyatvam on logical grounds - On Scriptural grounds,
> Yes I believe that! If belief of the scriptures to establish the
> apourusheyatvam then we are having a circular arguments. The belief that
> they are apourusheyatvam is just sufficient- no need to establish using
> miimaamsa for that. That is what I called as self-fulfilling prophesy.

*I have used deductive reasoning, used in many areas of study, where a
conclusion is considered true as long as it necessarily follows from the
premises. I have not called for faith or use of shastras as the basis of
the reasoning to prove that there are eternal apaureshya texts that give
knowledge because the modern audience is not inclined to accept on faith
especially of the Hindu genre.  Unless my premises or deduction are shown
to be wrong, no one can fault the conclusion. *
Next how is Vedanta pramANa and not the other scriptures? Vedanta is
pramANa because it provides mahaavaakya that equates aham as Brahman -
without these mahaavaakyaas- there is no liberation as Shankara says in
VivekacUDAmaNi -
na yogena saankheyna karmaana no na vidyayaa
bramhaatmaikatva bodhena mokshaH sidhyati na anyathaa||
If any Scripture that provides the equitation jivo brahma eva - then that
becomes a pramANa only. No other scripture other than Vedanta does that.
Hence Faith in Vedanta which I call as science of absolute reality is
required to discover the true nature of oneself. It is not just who am I
investigation and also involve what is this world and the identity of
oneness of subject-object duality. Hence Advaita stands tall even among the
other Vedic matham. For that faith or Shraddhaa is required - shraddhaavan
labhate jnaanam.

*Vedanta is not a pramana according to the tradition. It is the conclusion
based on Vedas as the pramana and applying anumana etc. within the
framework of Vedas as pramana. I am happy to be corrected.*
**
Yes you can take it as my opinion, if you wish. For me apourusheyatvam is
not needed to have a faith in the statement tat tvam asi. It is not
illogical (not saying it is logical),
Hari Om!
Sadananda