[Advaita-l] Jnana Yoga and Bhagavad Gita

kuntimaddi sadananda kuntimaddisada at yahoo.com
Tue May 31 12:54:13 CDT 2011

Harsha Chitraji - PraNAms

Since you are asking in the advaita list, the answer is obvious.
But just to be brief and to the point - if aatma jnaanam is about oneself and the other jnaanam is anaatma jnaanam which is non-self, we are left with not advaita but dvaita; unless that aatma jnaanam involves knowing there is nothing other than aatma - sarva bhuutastam aatmaanam sarvabhuutanica aatmani - says Krishna in the 6th Ch.- one who sees oneself in all and all in oneself. That leaves all the anaatma as mithyaa only or has no substantiality for it. That is the aatma jnaanam that Krishna emphasizes in Gita. Essentially it implies that the total knowledge that emphasized in Gita involves - there are no two but only one and that you can call it as aatma jnaanam or paramaatma jnaanam, since in the very next sloka He says - yo maam pasyati sarvatra sarvanca mayi pasyati - who ever sees Me everywhere and everything in Me - he really sees. Here seeing means understanding - I hope you see the point.

Then the knowledge emphasized in Gita becomes advaitic knowledge or knowledge of the reality which is advaita.

Hope this answers your question.

Hari Om!
Sadananda