[Advaita-l] structured approach to learning advaita

Siva Senani Nori sivasenani at yahoo.com
Wed May 25 05:48:16 CDT 2011

To give a flavour of these prakaraNa granthas, we can take a look at Sadananda
Yati's Vedanta Saara. This is a very short and yet crisp book yet not wanting in
depth. The general scheme is that after explaining the anubandhachatushTaya, the
srishti kramam is explained in great detail covering the concept of adhyaasa,
and then the samhaarakrama in a concise way. Thereafter two mahaavaakyas
tattvamasi and ahambrahmaasmi are analysed; a brief discussion shows how other
schools think of Atman and why they are mistaken; then is taken up the saadhana
part including sravaNa-manana-nidhidhyaasana and the different parts of samadhi
(yama-niyama-etc.). The SravaNa part also includes a discussion of the six
lingas - upasamhaaropakramau, abhyaasa etc. - along with examples from the
Chandogya Upanishad. Finally the characteristics of a Jeevanmukta are discussed.

This is in prose, written in 16th century, following the Vivarana school, it
seemed to me (that is no learned Pandit has asserted that it in so many words to
my knowledge). Some of the features that stand out are:
- Isvara is ajnAna-upahita-Brahman, that is Brahman conditioned by ajnaana, or
in simpler language Brahman covered by / or to whose side is kept, ajnaana.
Upa-hita means kept close by.
- AjnAna can be seen at the aggregate level (samashTi) like a forest or lake, or
at the individual level (vyashTi) like a tree or water; Brahman upahita by the
first at different levels is called Isvara, HiranYagarbha / sootraatmaa, and
VaiSvaanara; Brahman upahita by the latter is praajna, taijasa, and viSva. In
all the cases like the akASa which is divided by the tree or forest, or that
which is reflected in water or the lake, anupahita Brahman is the same.
- Thus in statements like tattvamasi, the upahita-Brahman is the vaachyaartha
(literal meaning) and the anupahita Brahman is the lakshyaartha (intended
meaning).
- Knowledge occurs not immediately upon listening to Sruti but by understanding
its meaning properly using the six lingas.
- Copious statements from Sruti to support every proposition.

If it is deemed useful, I would like to do a series of posts on the same. There
are 38 topics, each of a length good for one or two posts.

Regards
N. Siva Senani