[Advaita-l] Difference between Paramatma, Pratyagatma, and Atma

Venkata sriram P venkatasriramp at yahoo.in
Tue May 24 00:59:47 CDT 2011

Namaste,

///

When we speak of that enduring atman while
still embodied we use the term pratyagatman

//

Just a side note to above.

pratyagAtma splits itself as "pratyak+Atma".

Now, "pratyak" is further understood as "prati+aMch".  The author of Ratnaprabha defines
this as:

"prAtilOmyEna asatjaDadukhAtmakahaMkArAdi vilakShaNatayA satchitsukhAtmakatvEna
aMcha iti" which implies that which shines in the innermost space.

So, "pratyagAtma" is that which shines in the innermost Self.

IMHO, Atma, pratygAtma, paramAtma are all one and the same.  The only difference is in the upAdhi.

regs,
sriram