[Advaita-l] on the term Bauddhavatara.

Srikanta Narayanaswami srikanta.narayanaswami at yahoo.com
Wed May 18 08:46:40 CDT 2011

Namaste

Bauddhavatare means a time reference only. We don't worry what Buddha
did. It is not important for us when we are discussing time reference.
In Puranas Buddha came after Krishna Avatara and before Kalki. Krishna
Avatara happened in Dwapara. In Kali Yuga there are two Avataras
Buddha and Kalki. Buddha has come but we are waiting for Kalki. This
is why we say Bauddhavatare. In Dwapara Yuga probably people were
saying Ramavatare in Sankalpa. From this it is wrong to say Rama was
against rituals and Mimamsakas added it purposely.
Rama or krishna were not against rituals,but Buddha was from history.It is a common knowledge that Mimamsakas gained ground in reviving the rituals.During kaliyuga after Bauddhavatara the karmakhanda began to wane.It was only after the advent of shankara the mimamsakas with the help of shankara revived the karmakhanda.
N.Srikanta.