[Advaita-l] Can a mithyA-vastu produce an effect? असत्यवस्तुनः अर्थक्रियाकारित्वम्

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Tue May 17 05:09:16 CDT 2011

Namaste.

The srImadbhagavatam has one more verse where the concept of 'असतः
साधकत्वम्’ is taught:
In the uddhavagita chapter 24 verse 22 the Lord says:

एषा बुद्धिमतां बुद्धिः मनीषा च मनीषिणाम् ।
*यत्सत्यमनृतेन* इह मर्त्येनाप्नोति माऽमृतम् ॥

//Herein lies the wisdom of the wise, and the cleverness of the intelligent,
that in this very birth they attain Me, the Real and Immortal, *by means of
something that is unreal* and mortal.//

By unreal and mortal is meant the human body-mind complex.  With this as the
means one puts the effort and attains the goal of the Real and Immortal.

Although unreal, the body serves to attain the real, the Atmatattvam.
Actually, Atman is not 'attained' but only the ignorance that separates one
from his Atman-nature is what is dispelled.  And in this process, the body,
the very product of avidya, is used to grow out of ignorance.  Thus, the
sAdhakatvam of an asadvastu, the body, is taught by the Lord.  We have seen
elaborately the Shankara bhashyam in connection with this concept.

As a corollary, the Lord is also teaching that unreal, asatya, and mortal,
anitya, are the same. In the manner of Shankara's bhashya, anityatva being a
characteristic of anything that is sa-avayava, is vikAri and therefore not
real.  That which is satya cannot and does not undergo changes.  His famous
definition of satyatvam is:

यद्रूपेण यन्निश्चितं तद्रूपं यन्न व्यभिचरति, तत् सत्यम् ।  यद्रूपेण
यन्निश्चितं तत् तद्रूपं व्यभिचरति, तदनृतमित्युच्यते । अतो विकारोऽनृतम्,
’वाचारंभणं विकारो नामधेयं मृत्तिकेत्येव सत्यम्’, एवं सदेव सत्यम्
इत्यवधारणात् ।

//As for satyam, a thing is said to be satyam, true, when it does not change
the nature that is ascertained to be its own; and a thing is said to be
unreal when it changes the nature that is ascertained to be its own.  Hence
a mutable thing is unreal, for in the text, ‘All transformation has speech
as its basis, and it is name only.  Clay as such is the reality.’ (Chandogya
Up. 6.1.4), it has been emphasized that, that alone is true that Exists
(Ch.Up. 6.2.1)

Also in the commentary to the Gita verse 2.16, the Acharya says:

यद्विषया बुद्धिर्न व्यभिचरति तत्सत्, यद्विषया व्यभिचरति तदसत् …।

[That is said to be Real, of which our consciousness never fails; and that
Unreal, of which our consciousness fails.]

An article detailing this concept of 'anitya is asatya' can be accessed
here:

<goog_345294304>

http://adbhutam.wordpress.com/2009/08/05/the-world-is-anitya-but-is-it-mithya/<goog_345294304>

<goog_345294304>