[Advaita-l] samkalpa in sandhyavandana according to TN smartas

Balasubramanian Ramakrishnan rama.balasubramanian at gmail.com
Thu May 12 17:18:10 CDT 2011

On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 6:58 AM, Jaldhar H. Vyas <jaldhar at braincells.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 12 May 2011, Bhaskar YR wrote:
>

>> No, here in our circle, we dont say complete saMkalpa in
>> saNdhyAvandana...we just say : mama upAtta samasta duritakshayadvAra sri
>> parameshwara preetyartham prAtaH/mAdhyAnhika/sAyaM sandhya upAsate...thats
>> it
>
> On Thu, 12 May 2011, Stig Lundgren wrote:
>
>> Yes, and the same saMkalpa is performed also by tamil smartas, at least
>> that愀 what I have been taught.
>

> On Thu, 12 May 2011, Balasubramanian Ramakrishnan wrote:
>
>> No, desha-kaala etc are omitted in sandhyaavandanam,
>> aupaasanam/samidaadhaanam and brahma-yag~nam.
>>

> Thankyou.  Any theories on why this so?

We generally don't say complete sankalpa in the pancaayatana puja
either. But when I checked the Sringeri book on the panchayatana puja,
the complete sankalpa was given. I have noticed that the complete
sankalpa is not said in the nitya karmas, but in the naimittika (e.g.,
shivaraatri) or the kaamya karmas the complete sankalpa is used.

Rama