[Advaita-l] Athato Brahma Jijnasa

Venkatesh Murthy vmurthy36 at gmail.com
Wed May 4 22:50:44 CDT 2011

Namaste Sri Subrahmanian

Dhanyavadaha.

But the important question how can we have Jijnasa the desire to know
Nirvisesha Brahman before start of the study of Vedanta?  The student
has to study something. If he has no desire to know the subject matter
he cannot study it. How can there be desire to know? He may know
something about it but not enough. Samanyataha Vedite Viseshataha
Veditavye.  If he knows something generally but not Viseshataha
particular details he can have the desire to know it. But Nirguna
Brahman does not have any Visesha. How can there be desire to know it
for the student starting his studies?

But the Advaiti position can say the desire to know will be there
because the lower Apara Brahman is the meaning of Brahman in Athato
Brahma Jijnasa. But this lower Brahman gets superseded by Nirguna
Brahman.  Here also there cannot be desire to know because the student
will think I have to study this but it is not Ultimate. Why study?

The Advaiti position can say the desire to know will be there because
the Adhyasa has to be removed. The student must have desire to know
how to remove this Adhyasa. If this Adhyasa is removed there will be
Brahma Jnana. But the Advaiti also has said Adhyasa is Maya only but
not true. How can the student have desire to know a false Adhyasa?

The Advaiti position can say the desire to know how to get Moksha will
definitely be there in the student. He must study the Vedanta to get
Moksha. Take Moksha as Brahman.  But the Advaiti has said Moksha and
Bandha are not finally true also. How can the desire to know how to
get Moksha be there in the student?

Regards

-Venkatesh