[Advaita-l] Adi Sankara's Birth Date

Vidyasankar Sundaresan svidyasankar at hotmail.com
Wed May 4 08:29:10 CDT 2011

We have gone over all this multiple times in the past on this list. Please
note that the astrologer B V Raman has not said anywhere that Sringeri
Matha gave the BC date. What he says is that the Sringeri record gives
the date as the 14th year of a king named Vikrama. No identification of
this king has been given and that is why there is room for interpretation
of the record, historically speaking.

About a year ago, Sri V Subrahmanian posted the text of a discourse by
Swami Abhinava Vidyatirtha, the previous Jagadguru of Sringeri, about
why the Sringeri Matha observed 1988 as the 1200th birth centenary of
Adi Sankara Bhagavatpada. That too is available in the archives.

Regards,
Vidyasankar

ps. If you are interested in seriously understanding what advaita vedAnta
says about athAto brahmajijnAsA, please pick up one of the hundreds of
publications available, in Sanskrit, numerous other Indian languages and
English, dealing with precisely this point. If you can find books by vedAnta
deSika and jayatIrtha, surely you can find books by SankarAcArya.