[Advaita-l] Chitrahuti (fwd)

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Thu Mar 31 00:58:28 CDT 2011

Dear ShivasenAni,

This 'chitrAhuti' paddhati is followed in the Kannada Brahmin community,
both smarthas and madhvas too as I recently noticed. I think parishechanam
is different from aupasanam.  I have noticed a ritual, part of shrAddha,
termed 'anEka-kAla-vicChinna-aupaasana-prAyashchittArtham ...'
where the grihastha does this homa for having 'given up' the nitya karma of
aupAsana.  At the end of the homa, rice and raw banana are given with
dakshina for swayampAkam (tanDula dAnam).  After this the main shrAddha
ceremonies commence.

Regards,
subrahmanian.v