[Advaita-l] Shloka on Vyasa

Srikanta Narayanaswami srikanta.narayanaswami at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 22 09:13:30 CDT 2011

Sadashiva samarambham Shankaracharya madhyagam(it is not madhyamam)
asmadacarya paryantam vande aguru paramparam!!

praNAms
Hare Krishna

I am first time hearing words like 'madhyagam' 'aguru' etc.  in the above
shlOka...What we chant here is : shankarAchArya madhyamAM and vande 'guru'
paraMparAM.  BTW, what is the meaning of 'aguru' paramparam ??

Madhyamam doesnot mean "aguru"it only means shankaracharya is at the centre starting from sadashiva and ending with asmadacharya(your guru or our guru).madhyamam only means medium the first meaning uttama and the last being adhama.Also madhyamam has serious Buddhist(madhyamaka)overtones.
N.Srikanta.