[Advaita-l] More records - last part

Siva Senani Nori sivasenani at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 22 06:19:52 CDT 2011

Thank you for taking the trouble. I have issues with many depictions, but I will
merely state the over-arcing theme: whatever be the reasons, over a thousand
years, over vast tracts of land, we the sanaatanadharmis have failed to arrest
the attack on our way of life using the mantraSAstra in whichever capacity. If
it cannot be invoked to make a difference over such a large extent of time and
space, whatever potency it has - or whatever is required to invoke that potency
(that we lacked in the last fifty generations) - does not help. The explanations
differ: some say, all the kshatriyas - or the more valourous ones - were dead
after Mahaabhaarata, that kulasankaram is a reason for that; others say mantris
are not good enough, yet others say that (even as early as Patanjali - around
the time of Christ, roughly - the author of Mahabhashya on the Ashtadhyaayi, it
was lamented that dIrghasatras are no longer done!) the practice has been
diluted. Against this, if you choose to believe that some successful prayogas
have been done, I can only commend your devotion (I am at a lower or different
stage of indifference).

A prominent (and retired) IAS officer who also functioned as the EO of TTD
(Tirumala Tirupati Devasthanam) has written - to the effect - that Sanjay Gandhi
died because Chenna Reddy (a former Chief Minister of Andhra Pradesh, a Congress
one) got a prayoga made to that effect. I do not believe it. How I wish the 18th
century chief of Vijayanagaram, Sitaramaraju, who resisted the increase in
annual tax to British and then fought them with swords (the battle lasted about
45 minutes, in 1794 - see page 325, Vol. 3 of Arudra's samagra aandhra
saahityam, Telugu Academy, 2004) had the sense and wherewithal to invoke a
similar kratu! Point is, every example can beget many other non-instances and
that the difference finally made is what matters.

Regards
Senani