[Advaita-l] idaM na mama - The scientific evidence?

Satish Arigela satisharigela at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 21 03:13:03 CDT 2011

This is directly generic but also addressed to Subramanian ji

>However, I will give you two messengers, ashraddhA
>(absence of faith)

By the way shraddhA is not faith. That false equation of the word shraddhA with
faith may be the main reason for contradiction.

I will not try to give an alternate English word for it..but here is what I
suggest. In Telugu we use the word shraddha (apparently it was adopted from
Sanskrit). But we never use it to mean faith in something.

Here are Telugu usages: shraddhA gA vinu  - meaning: listen intently/attentively
or with focus - Any Telugu people can correct me if I am being unreasonable
here.

The first time my smArta teacher used the word shraddhA is when discussing
detail of a mantra practice with me-- and though he is very good at English and
we are having the conversation in English, he never used the word faith or
belief or anything similar but used the word shraddhA and everytime to indicate
something done with focus/attention or something done with
constancy/consistency(i.e. without slightest deviation from what was
prescribed).

This is something to consider in understanding the shloka you quoted.

Regards