[Advaita-l] Idam na mama

Venkatesh Murthy vmurthy36 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 16 00:02:32 CDT 2011

Namaste

On Wed, Mar 16, 2011 at 9:39 AM, Jaldhar H. Vyas <jaldhar at braincells.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Mar 2011, Srikanta Narayanaswami wrote:
>
>> The starting shloka of Ishavasya Upanishad beautifully summarises this
>> theme:
>> Ishavasyam idam sarvam yat kinca jagatyam jagat!
>> tena tyaktena bhunjita ma gridha kasyaciddanam!!
>>
>> The Upanishath doesnot say "you should not enjoy'.it says "ma gridha
>> kasyacit
>> danam.Don't be grredy as tgo covet another's money.
>
> It does really.  Everything belongs to someone else Ishvara who pervades
> all.  (Ishavasyam idam sarvam yatkincha jagatyam jagat.)  Knowing this _one_
> _should_ _renounce_ (tena tyaktena).  Renunciation with the idea "whose is
> this wealth I enjoy?" is the opposite of covetousness.
>
> I am reminded of the story of Vaman avatar.  Proud Baliraja on seeing the
> Brahmana dwarf who is paying a visit says take as much land as you can walk
> three steps.  He thought how much can this be for such a little man? But
> Vishnu Bhagavan expanded in size and in two steps spanned the entire
> universe.  It was then that Baliraja realized his error and forsaking pride
> offered his head as the third step.
>
> On Tue, 15 Mar 2011, Venkatesh Murthy wrote:
>
>> I feel giving Dana is a better way to get Jnana than Self Inquiry like
>> Who am I. In another email reply to Sri Bhaskar I explained for us
>> Manushyas Dana is best path. Donating something a man cuts his
>> attachment to that thing.
>
> The above story demonstrates that it is not always so.  Without
> understanding, even good deeds like charity can be a vehicle for ego and
> arrogance.
>
> --

Bali Chakravarti got  warning from Guru Sukracharya but he did not
listen. Dana cannot be given to anybody.  The receiver must be fit to
receive the gift. Only Anna Dana is allowed to be given to anybody.
You cannot give donation to a person who can misuse the gift.
Sukracharya warned Bali about Vamana because he knew Vishnu was
deceiving Bali.  Another point. Dani cannot give Dana expecting  some
return. Then he is not Dani and there is no Dana. It is a business
deal. It is not true Dana.  You cannot give donate something you do
not have. It is not possible.  When Dana is given in proper way it
will get rid of Ajnana in the best way.

--
Regards

-Venkatesh