[Advaita-l] veda purusha dhyaya - a small correction

Vidyasankar Sundaresan svidyasankar at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 3 10:42:53 CST 2011

>From: jaldhar at braincells.com
>
>On Thu, 3 Mar 2011, Venkata sriram P wrote:
 >
>> A slight correction here.  The head of the divine being IMO is donkey
>> instead of bull and the left hand displays vyAkhyAna mudra and not
>> abhaya mudra.    Here is the pramANa:   rigvEdaH shvEtavarNasyAt
>> dvibhujO rAsabhAnanH akShamAlAdhara saumyaH prItO vyAkhyApanOdyataH //
>>

>Hmmm.  In my notes I have:
 >
>R^igvedaH shvetavarNasyAt dvibhujO R^iShabhAnanaH |
>akShamAlAyutaH saumyaH prItashchAbhayOdyataH ||
>
>R^ishabha is bull and rasabha would be donkey.  It seems either you or I
>have made a typo.  abhaya and vyakhya are harder to confuse so I don't
>know what's going on there.  Is your source also chaturvargachintamani or
>some other shastra?

They look like variant readings of the same verse. As an aside, the visarga sandhi
in dvibhujO R^iShabhAnanaH is improper. It should be dvibhuja R^iShabhAnanaH.
Alternatively, dvibhujO vR^iShabhAnanaH would be okay. In the variant reading,
dvibhujO rAsabhAnanaH is correct with respect to sandhi.

Regards,
Vidyasankar