[Advaita-l] (Alleged) Internal Inconsistencies in the Advaita Tradition

Rajaram Venkataramani rajaramvenk at gmail.com
Tue Jun 28 06:47:25 CDT 2011

As Einstein put it, things should be stated in simple terms though not in
simplistic terms. I agree with you that even the most complex topics can be
explained in simple terms once the teacher understands the subject. I do not
think the advaita preceptors would have complicated the subject to increase
their self-importance. I think they were responding to the polemic pressures
on one hand and the needs of their students on the other. In addition to it,
they have to resolve the doubts that arise in their mind when reading
sankara's works with a philosophical construct that helps them create a
consistent world view.

My point is that when there are multiple philosophical constructs in a
tradition, one opposed to the other, then it is an inconsistency. When the
different views are not opposed to each other, then it is valid differences
in interpretation (pata bheda).

The purpose of this post is to determine if the advaita tradition has
internal inconsistencies or valid differences in interpretation.