[Advaita-l] Modern Science and Vedanta

kuntimaddi sadananda kuntimaddisada at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 23 20:04:31 CDT 2011

Yaduji – PraNAms

You are right, advaita Vedanta cannot contradict by definition since it transcends all contradictions. The apparent contradictions become real if one mixes the range of validity of pramANas. The definition of pramANa is very precise as stated in Vedanta ParibhASha – Without getting into those details here since that subject is exhaustively and critically examined in the past and series can be accessed via www.advaitaformum.org, I will only point out to the fact that Shankara at one place says - if Vedanta says fire is cold contradictory to pratyaksha pramANa, then one has reject that statement, since Vedanta pramANa applicability is not in the loukika but aloukika vishayas. I can say while looking at the fire that there is no fire out there where one is seeing the fire, and what is there is Brahman only – brahma agnou.. – that is the transcending knowledge that transcends the pratyaksha pramANa. At the same time, it does not dismiss the
 experiential fire but only dismisses the absolute reality assigned to the experiential fire.  Dvaitins may say fire is real since it is experienced, while advaitin says fire is not real since it is experienced and it is not unreal also since it is experienced. That is why aham brahmaasmi is not an experience. Understanding the world is mithyaa is part of self-realization that Shankara clearly declares as brahma satyam, jagat mithyaa, jiiva brahma eva na aparaH. Hence being a scientist, I do not find any contradictions in the objective sciences where pratyaksha and anumaana work and in Vedanta where shastra pramANa works. In the Vedanta Paribhaasha analysis, I have pointed out where I differ from the traditional views only because they are contradictory to the scientific understanding of the objective reality that is being discussed. Each pramANa has to be operated in its field only. This should be clear otherwise we will keep one leg here and another
 leg there and try to argue. Now about the specific points you have raised, I will address to the degree that I understand.