[Advaita-l] On sagotra Marriages

Rajaram Venkataramani rajaramvenk at gmail.com
Sun Jun 19 03:24:23 CDT 2011

there is no evidence to suggest that prohibition of sagotra marriages is a
rule derived based on experience in a particular context. it is based on the
belief that all humans are descendants of one or the other rishi. the
descendants of the same rishi should not marry just as siblings don't. we
cannot change it. now if there is love marriage, then we have no option but
why should divine sastras be changed for human love? in such cases, the
concerned couple should at least not marry according to vaidhika procedures
as a mark of respect for sastras.