[Advaita-l] The method of nyAya in the Shankara BhaShyam - a case study

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Thu Jun 16 01:00:39 CDT 2011

Yet another instance from the Bhashya:

Verse 31 of the Gaudapada kArikA reads thus along with the bhAShya: *
मनोदृश्यमिदं* *द्वैतं* यत्किञ्चित् चराचरम् । मनसो ह्यमनीभावे
*द्वैतं*नैवोपलभ्यते ॥ 31 ॥  — रज्जुसर्पवद्विकल्पनारूपं द्वैतरूपेण मन
एवेत्युक्तम्।
तत्र किं प्रमाणमिति, *अन्वयव्यतिरेकलक्षणमनुमानमाह*। कथम् ? तेन हि मनसा
विकल्प्यमानेन दृश्यं मनोदृश्यम् *इदं द्वैतं सर्वं मन इति प्रतिज्ञा *(this is
the pratijnA)*,* तद्भावे भावात् तदभावे *चाभावात्*। (This is the hetu).  मनसो
हि अमनीभावे निरुद्धे विवेकदर्शनाभ्यासवैराग्याभ्यां *रज्जवामिव सर्पे लयं गते
वा सुषुप्ते* (here two dRShTAnta-s are given) *द्वैतं* नैवोपलभ्यत इति
अभावा*त्सिद्धं
द्वैतस्यासत्त्वमित्यर्थः* । (here the hetUpanayaH and the nigamanam can be
discerned clearly)

 [ 3.31: All the multiple objects, comprising the movable and the immovable,
are perceived by the mind alone. For duality is never perceived when the
mind ceases to act] ‘This duality, as a whole, that is perceived by the
mind, is nothing but the mind, which is itself imagined (on the Self)’ –
this is the pratijnA, *proposition*.  For duality endures so long as the
mind does (anvaya), and disappears with the disappearance of the mind
(vyatireka). (this is the *Reason*). For, when the mind ceases to be the
mind, when, like the illusory snake disappearing in the rope, the mind’s
activity stops through the practice of discriminating insight and
detachment, or when the mind gets absorbed in the state of deep sleep (*two
examples* are given), duality is not perceived (here the *'application'*).
From this non-existence is proved the unreality of duality. (here the
*'conclusion'
*is stated). This is the purport.//

Regards,