[Advaita-l] How to read puranas

Dr. Yadu Moharir ymoharir at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 10 08:56:44 CDT 2011

________________________________
From: Jaldhar H. Vyas <jaldhar at braincells.com>
To: A discussion group for Advaita Vedanta <advaita-l at lists.advaita-vedanta.org>
Sent: Thursday, June 9, 2011 7:48 PM
Subject: Re: [Advaita-l] How to read puranas

On Mon, 23 May 2011, श्रीमल्ललितालालितः wrote:

> Not so. karma done with knowledge of mantra, etc. become strong. यदेव विद्या
> करोति .

Right but what does "knowledge" of a mantra mean?  As you know in our pathashalas, a brahmachari is taught the correct pronounciation above all. To know the rshi, devata, chhanda, and viniyoga of a mantra is also important.  Literal meaning is usually omitted altogether unless the student goes on to learn bhashya which most do not.

-- Jaldhar H. Vyas <jaldhar at braincells.com>

Namaste Jaldhar-Ji:

I have been collecting references to "Viniyoga".  Most of them I fond them in various BrahmaNaa's.  I would appreciate if you could share specific references from praraaNa or from any other source for that matter.

If this is beyond the scope of this list please communicate off-List.

Thanks you in advance,

Dr. Yadu