[Advaita-l] tat gotra

Ramamurthy Venkateswaran r_venkateswaran at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 9 12:16:53 CDT 2011

Pranams

Perhaps my poser is not clear to learned members and I thought it appropriate to elaborate it further.

In most of the marriages of Brahmins in Tamil Nadu, including my family, when we take a girl on kanya dhan/marriage, the gotra was different.  But prior to muhartham, the bride as she completes the Gouri Pooja, priests/ prohits from both the bride's side as well from the groom's side, I believe initiate relevant verses, change of gotra into the groom's.  My request to learned members is that how could gotra be changed prior to kanya dhan or the seven steps.  It could be that the priests say that the bride belonging to a particular gotra is being changed (I underline the words, is being changed) to another gotra (i.e. that of the groom's)  after the kanya dhan.

Of course, I do agree that there are exceptions as some advaitins have pointed out that such things do take place in marriages other than arranged ones, or consciously avoiding the dharmic principles.

With profound regards,

Sincerely,

R. VENKATESWARAN

email: r_venkateswaran at hotmail.com