[Advaita-l] (no subject)

Ramamurthy Venkateswaran r_venkateswaran at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 7 10:18:44 CDT 2011

Pranams

Some elderly person asked me to clarify a point and I found it difficult to answer.  I thought that learned advaitins will be able to clarify with reference to conventions or written rules.  This is about change of Gotra of a girl.  Normally marriage does not take place among the persons of the same gotra, i.e. among other things, the gotra of the bride and the groom ought to be different and the girl gets into the groom's gotra.

I have noticed and so also many of us that prior to kanya dhan, the gotra of the girl is changed while she is performing the Gowri Pooja; thus the change of gotra takes place prior to kanya dhan.

I will be grateful if this forum is the appropriate one to clarify this issue.

With profound regards,

Sincerely,

R. VENKATESWARAN

email: r_venkateswaran at hotmail.com