[Advaita-l] bhaktas in advaita tradition

Rajaram Venkataramani rajaramvenk at gmail.com
Sat Jul 30 11:51:06 CDT 2011

Sridhara also refers to Hanumanta. Do you know if he is an advaitin
commentator on bhagavatam? Also, Madhwa refers to Sankara as a
commentator in bhagavata tatparya nirnaya. Does tradition believe
Sankara commented on this? Also, it would be interesting to know
traditional view on Prabhoda Sudhakara, Sarva Siddhanta Sangraha and
Vasudeva Sahasrananama Bhashya attributed to Sankara. If tradition
attributed Mathara Vrtti and Uttara Gita Bhashya to Gaudapada, it will
make Bhagavatam integral to early advaita. I'd be surprised indeed if
that is the case though I don't agree Vopadeva wrote it 13th century
because Al Beruni mentions it in 11th. I'm also looking for
inscriptions on bhagavata saptaha and earliest enumerations of
puranas. It seems (need to double check) that Jataka tales refer to
bhagavatam.

On 30/07/2011, Jaldhar H. Vyas <jaldhar at braincells.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Jul 2011, Rajaram Venkataramani wrote:
>
>>> RV: This is an extremely useful input. Is there a good translation of
>> Sridhara's Bhagavatam commentary that you know of?
>
> I'm afraid not.  The information I gave you is from a Gujarati translation
> of the Bhagavata I use which has some excerpts and paraphrases from
> Shridharacharya but not the entire text.
>
>> I need the specific
>> references. I located "Citsukha's contribution to Advaita" by VA Sarma. Is
>> there any good work on his contribution to bhakti aspect?
>
> Not that I know off.
>
> --

Sent from my mobile device