[Advaita-l] shankara as suhastaH

Bhaskar YR bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Thu Jul 21 01:32:33 CDT 2011

praNAms
Hare Krishna

Example rAmAnuja or some vaiShNava being an avatAra of something in the
viShNu
parivAra etc.

>  sri vaishNava-s believe that Sri rAmAnujAchArya is the avatAra of Adi
shesha ( the serpent bed of maha vishNu)

The shaiva-s can also claim one of their AchArya-s as an incarnation of
shiva...so on and so forth.

>  allama prabhu, a jangama from lingayata lineage is incarnation of
kUdala saMgama deva (parashiva), so is the belief of some shiva sharaNa-s
in ligAyata circle.

These things are to be treated as a respectful way of acknowledging the
greatness of their sAmpradAya's AchArya-s.

>  Yes, you are right..for that matter, We, the followers of Sri SSS's
teachings, say among ourselves that Sri SSS is 'abhinava shankara' an
incarnation of shankara bhagavatpAda in Karnataka..And we are comfortable
with this belief & freely endorse this view point without any hesitation.
But at the same time, we know that outside our circle, nobody would buy
this theory :-))

So is shiva saying one thing to the shaiva-s in one avatAra and another
thing to
some smArta-s in a different avatAra? Or perhaps shiva and viShNu don't
agree
with each other and take human forms to teach their own versions?

>  if their attitude itself is different from one avatAra to another (like
rAma & krishna) we can expect the difference in teaching as well in
different avatAra-s..is it not:-))

So it is not correct to take such claims far and come up with reasoning
for why
some AchArya x or y is an avatAra of this or that devata. I don't know
what is
acheived by doing that.

>  I think, by treating their respective Acharya-s as an incarnation of
almighty, they have good reason to worship them...gurubrahma, gururvishNu,
gurudevO maheshvaraH..he is sAkshAt parabrahma.  I dont think there is any
harm in this belief system until they get into fight with another group
with this faith.

Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
bhaskar