[Advaita-l] Meaning of this verse

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Tue Jul 19 04:50:37 CDT 2011

Many thanks Siva Senani for the detailed analysis.  The purport of the verse
is also quite good.  I found it in a page full of subhAshitam-s:

*http://tinyurl.com/64pehs3

I am curious about this usage: // I*t makes a great deal of noise of
phar-phar. फर्फरायते //  I have come across this usage, however:

In the Shivanandalahari verse 63 on Bhakta Kannappa:

mArgAvartitapAdukA paSupatera~ggasya kUrcAyute
gandUShAmbuniShechanam puraripodivyAbhiShekAyate
kincidbhakShitamAmsaseShakabalam navyopahArAyate
bhakti: kim na karotyaho vanacaro *bhaktAvatamsAyate *|| 63 ||

The last word, a verb no doubt, has that 'aayate' ending.  Here someone
'becomes' or 'attains to the status of' a great bhakta. In the
phar-phar-Ayate the sense seems to be 'the fish is darting around making
that ....noise.'  Does phar-phar itself become a verb or qualifies the verb
like an adverb?  Just some questions on the grammar part.  In case you have
any thoughts on this pl. express them.
*
Thank you Sriram for giving out the essence of the verse.

Best regards,
subrahmanian.v
*