[Advaita-l] Modern science and Vedanta

Srikanta Narayanaswami srikanta.narayanaswami at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 14 08:36:12 CDT 2011

As I said, please show me one verse which hails jnani transcends
bhakti (it  does not need dvaita bhava). In The person who realizes
vasudevam sarvam iti is classified as a bhakta only. Pl. see Ch 7 and
12.

I'm happy to be corrected if you can show that bhakti is transcended
on the rise of jnana.

On 12/07/2011, Srikanta Narayanaswami <srikanta.narayanaswami at yahoo.com> wrote:
> BG as far as I know only hails a bhakta who is a jnani. Can you pl.
> show me where it hails a jnani who is not a bhakta?
By the same token I can also ask you why is that SriKrishna in the BG gives importance to Jnananarga,by numerous verses glorifying a Jnani.Jnani is Sresta,the Lord says.Sarvakarmakhilam Partha Jnane parisamyate."Sarva dharman parijyatya mamekam sharanam vraja".Here ,the term surrender means the conviction of Advaita jnana,vasudevah sarvamiti,not as what the Ramanuja's followers say.If we understand literally the word surrender,we will be missing the central point of Adwaita.Then,this violates the Upanishad,Brahmasutra,Bhagawadgita and Gaudapada Karikas on the Mandukyopanishad.
Read carefully what Shankara writes in his Bhagawadgita Bhashya on the word,Mamekam sharanam vraja.The same meaning follows the Mundaka sruthi also:
Dau suparna sayuja sakyhaayah samana vrukshe
samparishaksvajate,tayor anyah pippalam svaduatti anasnaanyo abhichakasheeti.
Here,Shankara's Bhashya clearly summarises the Adwaita position.Since Adwaita position is the last,this shows that even Bhakthi is transcended.
N.Srikanta.