[Advaita-l] 'nyAya' and 'tarka'

Rajaram Venkataramani rajaramvenk at gmail.com
Fri Jul 8 00:32:56 CDT 2011

I would not have taken the "unreasonable position" or "too technical
position" as I would call it being sympathetic to myself of taking nyaya to
mean the whole and tarka to mean the part because I know the intent of the
speaker is to refer to a system of thought. But I took that position because
of the following reasons.

   1. The whole discussion was using loose terms, which one of the members
   admitted to in a private exchange. But loose terms can only give general
   understanding and not particular understanding. I was trying to control
   loose terms and realize I might have hurt people - apologies.
   2. There was a ridicule of nyaya system with the elephant example to say
   that nyaya complicates simple things. I do not know the context of the joke
   or the intent of the speaker of the joke. As far as I am concerned, I  was
   quoting nyaya used by Madhusudana. He  does not complicate but clarifies a
   complex subject (avidya).
   3. The member  said that nyaya is minimally used and mainly in polemics.
   I disagreed with that because our acharyas interpret texts according to
   valid system of logic. Madhusudana extensively uses Nyaya even in
   Bhaktirasayana, a text on bhakti and not a polemical text. It is not because
   he wanted to show his learning but because it is critical to correctly
   understand the position of bhakti in advaita.