[Advaita-l] 'nyAya' and 'tarka'

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Thu Jul 7 20:28:48 CDT 2011

On Thu, Jul 7, 2011 at 10:20 PM, Rajaram Venkataramani <
rajaramvenk at gmail.com> wrote:

> RV: My original criticism was with respect to interchangeably using nyaya
> (whole) and tarka (part)
>

>From the above observation of yours I am unable to understand what exactly
you mean.

Do you object to the interchange of the use of the terms 'nyaya' and
'tarka'?

Is it your understanding that 'nyaya' is a certain 'whole' as in a 'set' and
tarka is a part of it?

Pl. clarify your stand with appropriate support from standard texts.  Pl.
give at least one instance each of the usage of the two terms from whatever
work you have read with your justification of the usages and why they cannot
be interchanged.

Regards,
subrahmanian.v