[Advaita-l] Bhakti in Advaita Tradition

Ramanan Subramanian ramanan82 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 2 23:14:23 CDT 2011

> Amalananda Saraswati quotes one verse from it in Kalpataru and attributes
> it to "AcAryAH" (this could either mean in plural or to Shankara
> respectfully... i am not sure). Narayaneeyam of Narayana Bhattathiri also
> refers to the work in the 90th dashaka. Interestingly though the same
> chapter is quoted in both these instances. Hence, the case of prapanchasara
> is not that easy to dismiss. It calls for further research in the matter.

Thought I should give the exact reference for this: The instance of the
quotations occurs in Vedanta-Kalpataru, 1.3.33 (8th Adhikarana):

"tathA tAvocan AcAryAH prapa~jcasAre:

'avani-jalAnala-mAruta-vihAyAsAM shaktibhish-ca tad-bimbaiH |
sArUpyaM Atmanash-ca pratiniitvA tat-tad-Ashu jayati sudhiiH ||'

iti"

The verse quoted occurs in Prapanchasara section mentioning meditation on
the Omkara.