[Advaita-l] Onion and garlic: more on food habits

S Jayanarayanan sjayana at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 15 21:30:37 CST 2011

--- On Sat, 1/15/11, D.V.N.Sarma డి.వి.ఎన్.శర్మ <dvnsarma at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear Sri Jayaraman,
>
> I think that this is hardly specific prohibition of
> garlic.

What part of the statement: "Hence, it is forbidden for sadhakas." is difficult to understand?

> *
> *
> "Sri Bhagavan inquired if she had read the article and
> said, “People say it
> is very good for health. Really it is so. It cures
> rheumatism and gives
> strength to the body. For children it acts like amrit
> (nectar). Garlic is
> also known as amrit.”"

"“That is why it is said that garlic has some of the properties of amrit. It is very good for the body. But since it also has the touch of the demon, it has tamasic qualities too, which when eaten affect the mind. Hence, it is forbidden for sadhakas.”"

Straightforward: Garlic is forbidden for sadhakas.

> The opinion given in a story he has narrated cannot be
> taken as his opinion.
>
> You said that I am not right. I have said two things.
> 1. I said Bhagavan Ramana did not give too much importance
> to food
> censoring.

That's false.

* He says above that garlic is forbidden for Sadhakas.

* He says eggs are not good for the diet:

Talks, # 24, 4th February, 1935

"Mrs. Piggott: Why do you take milk, but not eggs?
M.: The domesticated cows yield more milk than necessary for their calves and they find it a pleasure to be relieved of the milk.
D.: But the hen cannot contain the eggs?
M.: But there are potential lives in them."

* V. Subramaniam has already provided a link to a website to more such quotes, specifically against meat-eating:

http://bhagavan-ramana.org/diet.html

Mrs. Piggott returned from Madras for a further visit. She asked questions relating to diet regulation.

D.: What diet is prescribed for a sadhak (one who is engaged in spiritual practices)?

M.: Satvic food in limited quantities.

D.: What is satvic food?

M.: Bread, fruits, vegetables, milk, etc.

D.: Some people take fish in North India. May it be done? No answer was made by the Maharshi.

D.: We Europeans are accustomed to a particular diet; change of diet affects health and weakens the mind. Is it not necessary to keep up physical health?

M.: Quite necessary. The weaker the body the stronger the mind grows.

D.: In the absence of our usual diet our health suffers and the mind loses strength.

M.: What do you mean by strength of mind?

D.: The power to eliminate worldly attachment.

M.: The quality of food influences the mind. The mind feeds on the food consumed.

D.: Really! How can the Europeans adjust themselves to satvic food only?

M.: (Pointing to Mr. Evans-Wentz) You have been taking our food. Do you feel uncomfortable on that account?

Mr. Evans-Wentz: No. Because I am accustomed to it.

D.: What about those not so accustomed?

M.: Habit is only adjustment to the environment. It is the mind that matters. The fact is that the mind has been trained to think certain foods tasty and good. The food material is to be had both in vegetarian and non-vegetarian diet equally well. But the mind desires such food as it is accustomed to and considers tasty.

D.: Are there restrictions for the realised man in a similar manner?

M.: No. He is steady and not influenced by the food he takes.

D.: Is it not killing life to prepare meat diet?

M.: Ahimsa stands foremost in the code of discipline for the yogis.

D.: Even plants have life.

M.: So too the slabs you sit on!

D.: May we gradually get ourselves accustomed to vegetarian food?

M.: Yes. That is the way.

~ Talk 22, Talks with Sri Ramana Maharshi