[Advaita-l] Fw: Re: Advaitic Foods - Vedic ritual involving animal-killing

Sunil Bhattacharjya sunil_bhattacharjya at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 6 12:23:08 CST 2011

--- On Wed, 1/5/11, Sunil Bhattacharjya <sunil_bhattacharjya at yahoo.com> wrote:

From: Sunil Bhattacharjya <sunil_bhattacharjya at yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [Advaita-l] Advaitic Foods - Vedic ritual involving animal-killing
To: "A discussion group for Advaita Vedanta" <advaita-l at lists.advaita-vedanta.org>
Date: Wednesday, January 5, 2011, 10:03 PM

The ultimate aim of Tantra is noble indeed. The passion is the final obstacle in most aspirants. Even the great Viswamitra could not escape the wiles of Menaka. The Samayachara changes the attitude of the aspirant through devotion to the most beautiful universal mother and an initiate is introduced to its prescribed way of advancing in that path. The Vamachara Tantra does it by taking the bull by the horns. It allows the aspirant not to run away from  the senses. Abhinavagupta says that the deities of the senses have to be pleased and  that according to him is what Lord Krishna had also said in the Bhagavad Gita. Suppression of senses should not be the (only) way. As I understand he says that sensual fulfilment followed by meditation and repetion of these two in alternate cycles delivers the goods. In this process the attitude of both the enjoying and being enjoyed vanishes, resulting
 in getting rid of the ego of the individual self.

Regards,

Sunil K. Bhattacharjya