[Advaita-l] Adhyaropa-Apavada Nyaya.

Bhaskar YR bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Thu Feb 10 06:38:14 CST 2011

praNAms
Hare Krishna

If Neti Neti is only method available in Sruti what is the use of
positive Mahavakyas like Tattwamasi, Aham Brahmasmi,  Ayam Atma
Brahma.

>  Since the svayaM siddha Atman/brahman is not objectifiable it is better
to know THAT not knowable through negation ONLY.  Because the absolute
brahman is devoid of all specific features. Hence, shruti negates again &
again at every step whatever it employs as a means (upAya) of teaching.
abhinna nimittOpadAna kAraNa of brahman is also one of the
superimpositions on nirvishesha & nirvikAri brahman to teach us the
'secret' of creation .

Is it right to say Neti Neti removes the Adhyaropa and
Tattwamasi points to remainder after the Dvaita Prapancha is removed?
Otherwise we may think Neti Neti results in only Sunya like the
Sunyavadis.

>  No, shankara himself clarifies negation should not end in shunya but in
brahman.

Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
bhaskar