[Advaita-l] No one is liberated yet?

Rajaram Venkataramani rajaramvenk at gmail.com
Fri Dec 16 12:19:35 CST 2011

In Siddhantabindu verses 78 and 79, Madhusudana Saraswati justifies
multiple contradictory views about Isvara, Jiva etc. including the eka jiva
vada. My understanding of eka jiva vada is that the individual reflection
jivas get liberated while the reflected jiva is not. But in Satasloki verse
81, translated and annotated by Shri S.N. Sastry for which Shri
Krishnamurthy Sastrigal has written the foreword, it is said, "This is also
known as the Theory of Single Jiva. Sri Madhusudana Saraswati says in his
work Siddhanta Bindu, which is a commentary on Sri Sankara's Dasasloki,
that *this is the pre-eminent Vedantic view.* According to this view, the
Jiva is the cause of the world by the power of nescience. All objects of
perception last only as long as they are perceived. There is only one Jiva.
Only when this Jiva attains liberation all Jivas become liberated. *The
statements about Suka and others having attained liberation is only
eulogy*or 'Arthavada'"

My questions:

1. Where does Madhusudana say in Siddhantabindu that eka jiva vada is the
pre-eminent vedantic view? My comprehension is that that he only says that
different views are equally valid about the world of duality.

2. Is there any reference in the works of the acharyas to indicate that
statements about liberation is only eulogy?