[Advaita-l] Query regarding the birthplace of Bhaskararaya

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Thu Dec 15 19:12:21 CST 2011

On Fri, Dec 16, 2011 at 5:55 AM, <vadhula at yahoo.com> wrote:

> FYI,
>
> There are Marathi Deshastha Brahmins, Telugu Smartha Brahmins, and
> Kashmiri Brahmins that settled in TN in the past and merged with Vadama
> Iyer Smartha Bramins.
>
> Ravi Chandrasekhara

Regarding the word 'vaDama' I agree that they have a 'northern' ('vaDakku'
in Tamil means 'north') origin.  These people, during sandhyAvandanam, do a
namaskara for the river Narmada which practice is not there in the
non-vaDama smarta Tamils.  In Rameswaram too there are some families who
migrated from the North especially Gujarat/Maharashtra regions and settled
doing paurohityam.

Interestingly, too, there is  sect called 'saurAShTra' who came from the
North and settled in the Madurai surroundings.  There are many Brahmins too
among them.  Many are into weaving trade.  The famous Tamil singer
T.M.Soundararajan is from this community.  I personally know of some other
people too of this sect.  They speak a kind of Tamil.

v.subrahmanian.