[Advaita-l] Query regarding the birthplace of Bhaskararaya

Ramesh Krishnamurthy rkmurthy at gmail.com
Sun Dec 11 22:36:34 CST 2011

My understanding is that Bhaskararaya was born in what is now the
Marathwada region of Maharashtra, and not in Andhra Pradesh. For much of
his lifetime and for 2 centuries thereafter, the Marathwada region was part
of the erstwhile kingdom of Hyderabad, which accounts for the popular
notion that he was born "in Hyderabad".

He is said to have had two wives, one from the mAdhva sect and other a
smArta from a Thanjavur. He subsequently settled down near Thanjavur, and
his descendants are counted amongst Tamil speaking smArta-s. To this day,
there is sometimes  a debate on whether Bhaskararaya's family were Marathi
speaking deshastha-s or Tamil speaking smArta-s. To me, this is an
indicator that such distinctions were historically rather fluid.