[Advaita-l] A reference to 'jIvAshritA avidyA'

Bhaskar YR bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Tue Dec 6 22:36:32 CST 2011

praNAms Sri Ananda Hudli prabhuji
Hare krishna

A valid point raised by sureshvara himself, later developed by
sarvajnAtman, and prakAshAtman of the vivaraNa school, is that in the
state of deep sleep, avidyA is experienced. The person, upon waking up,
exclaims "I did not know anything while asleep!" However, it is important
to note that the there is no notion of jIva in the state of deep sleep.
This shows that avidyA can exist  without the jIva. If this is the case,
it follows that the locus of avidyA is not jIva but Brahman or pure
Consciousness which exists in all the three states.

>  Yes, prabhuji, as you have rightly said there is no jeevatva or upAdhi.
 Hence, there is an agrahaNa in sushupti. This has been clarified by both
shankara & sureshwara.  But AFAIK, the 'hetu' for this agrahaNa is nothing
but 'ekamevAdviteeyatva' of Atman nothing else.  Since in sushupti there
is 'nothing' else to know, Atman is said to be 'adviteeya'.  shankara
clearly clarifies in prashna bhAshya that : 'etasmin (sushupta) kAle
avidyA kAmakarma nibandhanAni kAryakaraNAni shAntAni bhavanti, teshu
shAnteshvAtma svarUpaM upAdhibhiH anyathAvibhAvyamAnaM advyamekaM shivaM
shAntaM bhavati'.  Here shankara makes it clear for us during the sushupti
period since there is an absence of kAryakaraNa (upAdhi-s)Atman remains as
advaya (non-dual), shivaM and shAnta.  Yes, upon waking up, jeeva tells
that I didnot know anything while asleep, But reason for this not knowing
(agrahaNa) anything is not due to avidyA, but it is because of
ekamevAdviteeyatva of Atman in that state.  shankara in bruhadAraNyaka
makes this point amply clear that in sushupti agrahaNAtmaka ajnAna hetuM
is nothing but 'ekatvaM' (ekatvamenAjnAnahetuH).  I think even sureshwara
also accepts this agrahaNa in sushupti and clarifies reason for this is
existence of 'kevala kUtasTha drushti'.

>  Kindly correct me if I said anything wrong here prabhuji.

Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
bhaskar