[Advaita-l] A reference to 'jIvAshritA avidyA'

Rajaram Venkataramani rajaramvenk at gmail.com
Tue Dec 6 01:06:43 CST 2011

On Tue, Dec 6, 2011 at 11:26 AM, Anand Hudli <anandhudli at hotmail.com> wrote:

> The answer to question 1 is where the schools of advaita differ.
> The bhAmatI school holds it is the individual soul, jIva that does not know
> Brahman, which means the locus of avidyA is the jIva. The jIva feels, "I do
> not know Brahman".

RV: As maya is indeterminate, its locus cannot be determinate which is why
I think different advaita  schools differ in their view on the locus of
avidya. And someone like Madhusudana Saraswati is able to syncretize very
diverse views within the tradition as if each view is equally valid. I am
happy to be corrected.