[Advaita-l] vedic yajna

sriram srirudra at vsnl.com
Sun Dec 4 05:50:55 CST 2011

Dear Sri Sarma
To begin with the human breed  should have started life as a hunter and
gatherer only living in caves.Through evolution the human species should
have shed crude form of living and entered into agriculture.Among the
species those who abhorred killing of animals for eating purposes might have
stressed vegetarianism and having found that as a satvik way of living
should have propogated that.It is perfectly in order that some vedic
portions have reference to meat eating as the vedas also hold mirror to the
life in  those days.
Perhaps you think why defend the meat eating  or  using meat in yagas when
there is  evidence.
This is because Vedic words and sentences do give different meanings if the
root is searched and the context  is also right.So those who are pure
vegetarians amongst us think that vedas might not be advocating meat eating
etc and do research to find out the exact saying.I think this is not wrong
and by no means be labelled psuedointellectualism.R.Krishnamoorthy.