[Advaita-l] vedic yajna

Anand Hudli anandhudli at hotmail.com
Sat Dec 3 05:30:03 CST 2011

Rajaram Venkataramani wrote:

>This discussion has gone off in multiple directions responding to all
>which will further defeat the purpose of my starting it to find out
>the specific ritual referred to in Br Up verses. I'm planning to ask a
>learned sastrigal or srautigal. But if anyone knows, please share the
>name of the ritual. It does not seem to be putra kameshti.

As part of the saprayoga shAnti chandrikA, a manual of shAnti karmas,
there is a putra-kAmeShTi ritual described for R^ig Vedins. The
pradhAna deities of this homa are agni,varuNa, Vishnu, soma, and
sUrya. The dravya or material used for the offerings is pAyasa-charu.
There are 15 offerings in all to the various deities and the
hutasheSha (remnants of the offerings) is consumed by the couple
desiring a child.

Obviously, this ritual is different from the one described in the
BrihadAraNyaka upaniShad.

Anand