[Advaita-l] vedic yajna

Venkatesh Murthy vmurthy36 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 1 06:10:12 CST 2011

Namaste

On Thu, Dec 1, 2011 at 4:51 PM, Bhaskar YR <bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com> wrote:
> Kindly write something about Bruhadaranyaka 6-4-7 asking a man to
> strike his wife with a stick. Do you feel we can take direct meaning
> of Sruti and do it? Is it proper conduct today? If it is not proper
> conduct what is the hidden meaning of the Sruti Vakya? Do you not feel
> today we have to take a modified meaning of the Vakya like scolding
> his wife instead of striking her?
>
> praNAms Sri Venkatesh prabhuji
> Hare Krishna
>
> Yes, I do agree, when  I cannot even scold my wife, how can I imagine my
> fate if at all I beat her :-))  Anyway, that does not mean that I have to
> confiscate the simple instruction that shruti giving here in this context.
>  I'd simply say shruti telling us then existing practice & male domination
> in the family which cannot be followed nowadays considering the females'
> equal rights in our social system.  But this type of attitude towards
> shruti vAkya, does not imply that shruti is telling something else than
> its plain meaning and we have to interpret these type of
> sentences/instructions to suit the present scenario. In short, accept the
> plain meaning of shruti vAkya without trying to twist it and agree that it
> is not advisable/possible  to  practice today :-))

Then you have agreed we cannot follow everything said by Sruti today.
Some Sruti Vakyas on Dharma will not be correct in some Yuga, Desha or
Kala. Why is this? Dharma depends on Yuga, Desha and Kala. How do you
know what is the Dharma for your time? Look at Sistas. Follow them.
This is also said in the Taittiriya Upanishad.

--
Regards

-Venkatesh