[Advaita-l] Looking for commentary by Swayamprakasha Yati on Manasollasa

Venkata sriram P venkatasriramp at yahoo.in
Mon Aug 29 02:13:58 CDT 2011

Namaste Raghavji,

/////

Upon knowledge, the eight-fold powers are attained)
has not to the best of my understanding been interpreted as figurative. In
other words the manasollasa seems to have taken it literally

//

I had just a cursory glance and didn't go deep into it.

There are several scholars here who can throw light on this issue.

However, IMHO, these are just the Ishwara vibhutis.  These follow automatically
when the Jiva attains the sarvAtma bhAva.  His "ahaMta-vyApti" is in the
aShTamUrtIs described in the previous sloka (bhUraMbhAsyanilO.....).
Ishwaratva is sarvakartrutva, sarvajnatva etc. which has the attributes
as aShTa siddhis, nava nidhis etc.

In my opinion, i didn't find anything objectionable in Manasollasa.

But yes, Manasollasa has a slight tilt towards Agama with the mention of
36 principles, mention of subtle nADi maNDalAs (subtle nerves in Kundalini Yoga),
has mention of Lambika Yoga etc.   These find its mention in Shaiva / Shakta Agamas.

Even some of the advaitic scholars have reservations against the authorship of
Manasollasa and doubt about Sureshwara because of it's agamic influence.

regs,
Sriram