[Advaita-l] veda is eternal implies jnAnI returns as a seeker ?

Raghav Kumar raghavkumar00 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 28 05:57:08 CDT 2011

 shrI lalitAlAlita ji Maharaj

Hari Om

> you wrote - "You may say number of mantra-s is infinite. If one veda has
> infinite number,
> then other will have no mantra at all."

in dealing with infinite sets, we have to be a bit careful. There can be two
infinite sets which do not overlap, like "the set of even numbers" has
infinite members in it. But then there should be no non-even numbers left.
Yet there are non-even numbers called odd numbers.

> >Even if no one makes clear the meaning of word veda-s there, let us think
> of
> >it :
>
> >If vedA-s are ananta. It will make even our words veda. How ? because
> veda-s
> >are words. And if all possible words(including sentences) are veda, then
> >what I utter is veda too. (because anantA vai vedAH)
>

> The above logic needs revision.

If the above logic is right then we can say,
1. Laukika words are infinite. (because there are countless samAsa pada-s
possible)
2.Therefore "laukikatvam' pervades 'words"
3. Veda-mantras are words.
4. Veda-mantras are laukika words
I think you can see there is a problem in step 2.

> >If you say that GYAnam is veda, then GYAnam of ghaTa, paTa, etc. will
> become
> >veda. (because anantA vai

> >vedAH)
>
> >That's why I said that word vedAH means shAkhA-s of veda. Taking this
>meaning will not contradict the context in anyway.
The dRShTAnta is comaparing a fistful with a mountain. The almost-endless
mountain cannot stand for the shAkhAs. The number of shAkhas is - Yajurveda
with 101 recensions, Saamaveda with 1000 recensions, Rigveda with 21
recensions and Atharvaveda with nine recensions, that means a total of 1131
shakhas. Even if bhAradhvAja maharShi had studied say 11 shAkhas in all.
The proportion of what he studied in comparison with that he did not, is not
so large as to necessitate comparison with a tall mountain. Maybe a small
mound would have been more appropriate.

> >In the same way whatever Ishvara knows
> >is not essentially veda.

This is the key question. Did Ishvara have other knowledge than Vedic
knowledge? I am trying to understand this aspect better. In the other thread
on anantA vai vedAH, I suggested that we cannot say that
शास्त्रयोनित्वात् ....ब्रह्मण: सर्वज्ञत्वम् सिद्धम्
unless all knowledge in derivable from Vedic mantras by purusha-prayatna.
Such knowledge ofcourse become paurusheya. But thats ok. Because there is
always other knowledge derived from the Veda like karma, upAsana and
aikya-j~nAnam which remain apaurusheya always.
I am suggesting that we have to accept that pANiNi etc got their
vyAkaraNa-j~nAnam only by expansion/tapas on Vedic mantra-s, otherwise there
is हेत्वाभास in  शास्त्रयोनित्वात् sUtra. Is there any other way of
understanding

वेदे ही सर्वार्थप्रकाशनसामर्थ्यम्  ?

ॐ

raghav