[Advaita-l] Ritambhara Prajna

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Fri Aug 19 12:47:33 CDT 2011

On Fri, Aug 19, 2011 at 12:40 PM, Srikanta Narayanaswami <
srikanta.narayanaswami at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Further,Yoga has no function in removing obstacles in the same way as
> "Upasana",which is also a limb of "karma".Only by exhausting the
> "Karma"vasanas the intellect can be pure.The way the "Yoga"functions is
> counter to the way the "Karma"functions.The "yoga"is no substitute for
> "Karma"exhaustion.There are numerous "sruthis"which substantiates this
> statement.
> N.Srikanta.

The AmritanAda Upanishad says:

*http://tinyurl.com/3o7cqlw* <http://tinyurl.com/3o7cqlw>
 यथा पर्वतधातूनां दह्यन्ते धमनान्मलाः ।तथेन्द्रियकृता दोषा दह्यन्ते
प्राणधारणात् ॥ ७ ॥Just as the impurities in the mineral ores are removed
through the process of smelting, so too the defects (pApam) owing to the
action of the senses (and the mind) are burnt through the process of
prANAyAma.  प्राणायामैर्दहेद्दोषान्धारणाभिश्च किल्बिषम् ।प्रत्याहारेण
संसर्गान् ध्यानेनानीश्वरान्गुणान् ॥ ८ ॥Through prANAyAma defects are to be
burnt.  Through dhAraNa, all the impurities, pApams. By pratyAhAra all
attachments and by dhyAna all the AsurIguNas (are to be burnt).
We have, side by side, this verse too:दिने दिने  च वेदान्तश्रवणात्
भक्तिसंयुतात् ।
गरुशुश्रूषया लब्धात् कृच्छ्राशीतिफलं लभेत् ॥

diney  diney cha vedAntashravaNAt bhakti-samyutAt
gurushushrUshayaa labdhaat kRcchraasheeti phalam labhet

By engaging every day in Vedanta shravaNa sincerely coupled with the service
to the Guru, one will get the (chitta-cleansing) fruit of performing eighty
kRcchra rituals/observations.

Performing of just once the Kricchra praayashcitta is considered extremely
tiresome, painful.  So, the above verse assures vedanta sadhakas that the
pratibandhaka, obstacle, born of pUrva paapa karma that obstructs the dawn
of knowledge or even progress in sadhana, is removed by sincerely engaging
in vedanta vicharaatmaka sadhana with the grace of the Guru.  Regards,
subrahmanian.v