[Advaita-l] Litmus tests for self-realization

kuntimaddi sadananda kuntimaddisada at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 17 01:28:08 CDT 2011

Is there a litmus test for self realization?

Yes, it is true in the presence of a mahatma, that our minds become quiet and peaceful, provided we have trained our mind to tune ourselves to that peace that pervades in to that presence.  From that point, every mahatma is realized soul and if mind is not peaceful in that presence it is not that we judge that the mahatma is not realized but that our minds are not in tune or perturbed. Then is that a litmus test for realization of a mahatma or litmus test for our own purity of our minds? It appears to be more of the later than the former.

Then how exactly I know I have realized given the fact the realization is not discrete event in time.  Krishna’s description of sthitaprajna is the clear statement – prajahaati yadaa kaamaan sarvaan partha manogataan, aatmanyeva aatmaana tushTaH.. All desire (self-centered desires that this brings me happiness and that brings me suffering etc) are gone from the mind and one who revels in himself by himself – is the realized person. This happens slowly due to slow process of purification of the mind – hence the scriptures say – nidhidhyasana important.

In terms of litmus test for realization – the best explanation was provided by Swami Paramaarthanandaji – which he calls as FIR reduction As the mind gets purified, the metal peaces that transcends understanding sink in – in that very process I am getting more and more established in the understanding that the happiness that I am longing for is not external to me and it is myself – that is aham brahma asmi – that knowledge slowly sinks in. As I get more and more established, the frequency, F, of disturbance from that state decreases.  That is the first litmus test. The second is, even if I momentarily gets disturbed due to habitual slips of the mind, the intensity of disturbance, I, also becomes less and less severe. Because of this fact, the R, the recovery from that disturbed state also becomes fast. Or one can say the reduction R in time for the recovery.  These three litmus tests one can see in ourselves as we get firmly established in
 that understanding and perhaps others also can see that we do not get disturbed that easily.

Hence is there a litmus test for realization – yes one can say as FIR reduction. This one can evaluate oneself – and should not be used to evaluate the others, unless one knows norm based on which these reductions can be quantified.

Hari Om!
Sadananda