[Advaita-l] Can a mithyA-vastu produce an effect? असत्यवस्तुनः

Venkata sriram P venkatasriramp at yahoo.in
Thu Apr 28 00:31:36 CDT 2011

Namaste Sunilji,

//

Tantra does say that it was with the nod of the Lord that Mother Gauri (as Mother Kali or as Lord Krishna) did all the creation yet Mother Gauri is not different from the Lord.

//

We have a couple of Suktas in Rg Veda that are simply mind-boggling and the entire
concept of tantra is just squeezed into these couple of suktas.

They are 1) Nasadiya Sukta 2) Asyavamiya Sukta.

While i have studied Nasadiya Sukta, i have partially attempted the study of Asyavamiya
Sukta with the commentary of Sayana.  To this, a gloss has been added by some scholars like Swami Atmananda, Dr. Satvalekar, Sriman Ekkirala Anantacharyulu (father of Master EK), Prof. Joshi etc.  Though a cursory glance was given by me, i am getting bogged down with certain riks.  The famous advaitic references like "ekam sat viprah bahudha vadanti", "dvA suparna....." are from this Asyavamiya Sukta only.

I suggest to just have a serious study of the above suktas to enjoy the wonderful vedic symbolisms, allegories, tantric concepts and above all the concept of
creation.

BTW, given below is the 4th mantra from Nasadiya Sukta for your information.

//

kAmastadagre samavartatAdhi manaso retaH prathamaM yadAsIt
sato bandhumasati niravindan hRdi pratISyAkavayo manIshA

//

The kAmaH is the Desire to Create and hence desires to become many (bahusyAm prajAyEti...).  This desire as caused to place the Seed of Creation (rEtaH prathamaM
yadAsIt).

What exactly happens here, even the Seer of this Sukta cannot understand and
hence sings in ecstasy as:

// kah addha veda kah ihah pra vochat kutah ajaata kutah iyam visrushti
arvaak devah asya visarjanena adha kah vedah yatah aababhuvA //

Just my 2 cents as Tantra is my favourite hot topic :))

regs,
Sriram