[Advaita-l] Sreemath Hariharapura

Sunil Bhattacharjya sunil_bhattacharjya at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 15 22:33:52 CDT 2011

Namaste,

Yes,  the Tercentenary year (2008-2009) of the Chituapur Saraswat Math  was celebrated recently. To my knowledge the Math was without a guru for close to half a century, when their  guru at his old age,  left Goa  for Varanasi due to the atrocities of the Portuguese government and neither he could return nor  he could  appoint his successor before leaving Goa. The Sringeri math helped that community to have a new guru ordained at that time three centuries ago. Again towards the end of the twentieth century the previous guru passed away at his young age without nominating a successor and the Sringeri Math helped in ordination of a new guru, respected Sadyojat Sankarashramji, Probably he too qualifies to be called a Sankaracharya.

Sunil K. Bhattacharjya