[Advaita-l] Taittiriya Upanishad question

Bhaskar YR bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Mon Apr 11 05:59:36 CDT 2011

Humble sAshtAnga praNAms Sri Vidya prabhuji
Hare Krishna

Sri Vidya prabhuji :

It depends on what kind of mukti one is talking about. In the state where
the jnAnI sees nothing else (neha nAnAsti kiMcana, nAnyat paSyati etc),
there is no other thing to be experienced, therefore no action, e.g.
eating
or being eaten.

bhaskar :

Kindly clarify whether this is a realization/intuition in totality of the
jnAni (to say, when he is wide awake & looking normal to others)  or a
state where physical activity of the jnAni comes to a complete stand-still
to 'literally' 'experience' the 'blank' state.  In short, neha nAnAsti
kiMchana, nAnyat paSyati type of realization (mukti) can happen to the
jnAni ONLY when his physical activity completely stopped and his body,
senses & mind merges in an inert state??

Sri Vidya prabhuji :

In the case of krama mukti, there can be experiences, residual desires,
desire achievement etc, along the krama-bhUmi-s.

bhaskar :

prabhuji, do I annoy you if I ask shankara's relevant comments on this??
Kindly also clarify this krama mukti what shankara talks pertains to only
dhyAna, upasanAdi mArga (reaching hiraNya garbha lOka etc.) or this krama
mukti can happen to the sAdhaka in jnAna mArga also??

Sri Vidya prabhuji :

Do keep in mind that the taittirIya upanishat prefaces the sAman citation
of being anna and annAda with the statement, "asmAl lokAt pretya", and
talks of going beyond the annamaya, prANamaya etc koSas, thus pointing
to a staged process of mukti.

bhaskar :

Instead of taking pancha-kOsha viveka as the process of krama mukti, I
would like to take pancha-kOsha prakriya as one of the methods of jignAsa
in the light of adhyArOpa apavAda.  Am I  wrong if I say like this
prabhuji??

Your humble servant
Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
bhaskar