[Advaita-l] Taittiriya Upanishad question

Vidyasankar Sundaresan svidyasankar at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 7 13:18:03 CDT 2011

> Namaste
>
> Taittiriya Upanishad 2-1 -- So Snute Sarvan Kaman Saha. The Knower of
> Brahman in the heart enjoys all desires at once.
>
> There is a connection of this with 3-10-5-6. He sings the Sama song Ha
> Vu Ha Vu.
>
> He enjoys all desirable things and sings in joy the Sama song Ha Vu Ha Vu.
>
> This means when he is liberated he can express his joy in words.
>
> The Dvaitis say how can you say words cannot be there in Moksha Sthiti
> because Upanishad is saying the person in Moksha will sing Ha Vu Ha
> Vu.

Just as a jIvanmukta on earth can use words and express joy in words.

The upanishad vAkya-s cannot and should not be cited piecemeal, just
to make a point. The totality of the text must always be kept in mind.
The same taittirIya upanishat also says, "yato vAco nivartante ..." and
even within the cited sAman, the brahman-knower says, I am food
(aham annam), I eat food (aham annAdaH) and I eat the eater of food
(annam adantam admi) - all of which makes sense only in terms of
being a praise (stuti) of brahmavidyA. It is not to be taken literally. It
is not as if in the mukta sthiti, the brahman-knower actually sits around
eating and being eaten.

Regards,
Vidyasankar